Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Borders and Ground Cover

I've now finished three sides of the border of the front left yard and have settled on what I want to do with the fourth side: coral bells.

Let's start with the side on the path. I put in the rest of the small penstemon (I may add one more later), two more hummingbird sage (I need one more of those too), and added two maidenhair ferns. The sunlight stops where the last small penstemon is. From there on, it's all shade. The border closest to the house is also entirely in shade during the winter, so I needed something that could handle that. I talked to Kat at the Grow Native Nursery and she suggested something in the alum root family. I chose Heuchera maxima, the "Wendy" cultivar. This is supposed to planted as a mass for full effect when it flowers. So far, I only have two (I need to buy about twenty more).


At first glance, the Heuchera looks like geraniums, but when it flowers it's quite different.


I also started putting in the some of the manzanita groundcover. I went with Arctostaphylos edmundsii 'Carmel Sur.' Even though this variant doesn't flower, it grows quickly, can tolerate garden conditions, and it hugs the ground, smothering most weeds.


I've only planted two so far (I'll probably need eight more to round out the area), but I've spaced them five feet apart to give them room to grow.


And how about one Halloween shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment