Saturday, March 23, 2013

Spring 2013

I've been making a few improvements to the yard.  I've added a table, chairs, and umbrella to my raised porch.  Now I'll be able to sit out and enjoy the backyard.



Meanwhile, many of the spring flowers have begun to bloom.  There are lots of poppies on the side yard.


The white sage I planted two years ago after another was decapitated by a city tractor is beginning to bloom.


Both my mountain lilacs are in full bloom (this is Ceanothus "Concha").  It goes nicely with the coral bells (Heuchera "Wendy").



The desert verbena on the parkway is coming in nicely.


And the parkway strip is filled with poppies (though my manzanita is not doing very well at all).


The front yard is dominated by the coral bells, along with some clarkia and a few poppies.  The desert willow (Chilopsis linearis) is just beginning to come out of winter hibernation.


While poppies predominate on the parkway strip, I have a few other wildflowers mixed in.


Lots of blossoms on the orange tree.  Perhaps, for the first time, I might have oranges this year.


The container garden in the front is doing well.


In past years, Chinese houses (Collinsia heterophylla) have filled the yard, but only a few so far this spring.


These flowers are "volunteers" who spread from other areas.  The white sage behind it is growing nicely after being pruned back hard.


More wildflower volunteers, mixed in with the bulbs (which won't bloom for another month at least).


This white sage hasn't been pruned at all.  I'm just cutting back flower stalks to keep it from blocking the side walk.


The fuschia-flowering gooseberry (Ribes speciosum) bloomed mostly over the winter but still has a little bit of a display left.


I pruned back the roses and they seem to be doing well.


Another view of the proch.


No comments:

Post a Comment